"...Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"

Monday, November 16, 2009

London: The Tower of London and Harrods

Last Saturday we took my Grandparents to London to tour the Tower of London and spend some time browsing through Harrods. They had spent about a week there 20 years ago. The Tower was full of history! Originally it was built in 1066 and has been used as a palace, prison, and even houses the current mayor of London! It was a prison for Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth I, and Sir Walter Raleigh, just to name a few. The crown jewels are held there and were my favorite part of the Tower. They were absolutely gorgeous and had the biggest diamonds in the world, including the Koh-i-Noor diamond. One of them was 536 carats! The weather was windy, but nice till about 11, and then it was pouring buckets! Thankfully, we had just finished, and took a taxi to Harrods. The taxi ended up being 4 times the amount it had cost on the way there since the main roads were closed for a parade. But, eventually we got to Harrods and had some lunch. If you are ever in London, GO TO HARRODS! It was a little overwhelming with the crowds and the sheer size. There are six floors and they sell everything! From designer purses to Legos, to furniture. I could have spent all day there, but everyone was feeling pretty exhausted after so much touring. So, we had to leave before getting to see all that I had hoped to. The Food Hall was incredible! There was every kind of delicacy imaginable! I've never seen such beautiful food! Anyway, here are some pics....
FYI: The wind reached 60 mph last night! It was fun to listen to, and the water is fun to watch.
This is the Jewel House where the crown jewels are kept. It was packed with security!
No cameras were allowed, but I sneaked this picture outside the door. Sorry its not a very good one. That was just one of the coronation crowns specifically for the use of visiting India 50 yrs. ago.

This is the approximate sight of where Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard were executed. I thought it was ironic that it was right in front of the chapel.

HARRODS!



 This is one of the Christmas sections to give you an idea.

The food. This is a very small section.

2 comments:

  1. We all miss you back here it sounds like you are having a TON of fun!!!! It is way cool that you grandparents came! I can't wait till you get back I miss seeing you on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go to harrods if I ever go to London. I think that is so cool that you grandparents came!

    ReplyDelete