"...Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Portsmouth

November 21, 2009
Yesterday was spent in the city of Portsmouth. It is one of the oldest ports in the world and is where the term "port" or the sailing term for "left". I absolutely LOVED it. It felt so good to see the ocean and a dockyard, it felt like a little piece of home. There was a big shopping center that was fun to browse through and is where we had lunch. It was the first time I've been to a Mexican restaurant since I've been here. Caramba! We spent most of our time in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard where we toured two old navy ships. The first was built in 1860 and was the first navy ship ever built from cast iron. It was called the HMS (Her Majesties Ship) Warrior, and was manned by a crew of 700 men and the ceilings were short enough to make me duck... MISERY! The food sounded absolutely deplorable! The second ship was built in 1760 and was wooden! It was the HMS Victory and took 850 men to man it. There were rows upon rows of cannons and teeny beds. There was no photography on the Victory, so I took lots on the Warrior. The Victory was the actual ship that caused the English to win the Battle of Trafalgar. The Captain Nelson was shot during the battle and asked to be buried in England rather than being thrown overseas. Well, it took 6-8 weeks to get home, so they stuck his body in a wine barrel to preserve it. He is now buried in St. Peters Cathedral. After our tour, we went through the shop and I found a beautiful charm to get for my bracelet.
The Dockyard
HMS Warrior
Rows and Rows of Cannons
This is the size of a hammock, perfect size for 4 yr. old Ande, but for a grown man???




There were ailes and rows of gunpowder (models now) carefully packed so that they weren't moved around much.
This is the HMS Victory

4 comments:

  1. Wow! At first glance, I thought that those were our docks! Amazing how not alot changes when you go around the world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is BEAUTIFUL Hanna! I hope you are having a great time it is only 1 month until you get home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanna it looks like you are having an amazing time! I Miss you so very much! Next time you see me I will be 15!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol okay the ailes that they keep gun powder in at first looked like a bowling allie to me :P ! so i was thinking wow how cool they can bowl on the ship ... lol
    looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete