"...Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Stores, Pounds, and Candy!

Life has been pretty easy going these last couple of days but we are looking forward to a trip to London this weekend. On Monday, we visited an English grocery store for the first time, and although it was very similar to the US, it was very confusing to convert pounds into dollars, but I’m starting to get the hang of it. They sold a huge variety of custards, biscuits (their cookies), and CHEESE! Everything was in liters and was called by different brands. For example, “Lays” has become “Walkers”.

Yesterday, we went to the library in Cirencester , and although there weren’t very many books for me, it was a great place for the kids. Next we visited an outside market (the British version of a mall) and browsed through the stores. The first shop we went into was a small candy/chocolate shop, where they had every candy imaginable! I chose a small hazelnut praline that was rich and delicious.
We then moved on to the center of the market and looked through the wide variety of stores. There were clothes, shoes, bakeries, and game shops. All of the clothing stores sold very nice and EXPENSIVE clothes. It was fun to browse, but the only thing I bought were a pair of shoes and some postcards for my younger siblings. Everyone on the streets wear very nice clothes and the only people I saw wearing jeans were a couple of teenage boys. All the girls wear sweaters and leggings or slacks and the “English Coat” is what I call it.




Today we had planned a nice walk (the British’s favorite pastime) but had to cancel because none of us were feeling very well. However, I did get to make lasagna for the first time with my cousin Tater. We haven’t eaten yet, but it smells absolutely delicious! I’ll make sure to post pictures and detail our trip to London next week. I hope you are all doing well and I miss all of you very much! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. That is funny that it is Walkers insead of lays! I miss you! GOOD JOB making lasagna!

    ReplyDelete