"...Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"

Monday, October 5, 2009

Exploration Expeditions

Sunday October 4, 2009
After, church, I went with my uncle and cousin on a drive through some of the local villages. We first went and visited an ancient “Roman Villa”. The road signs just pointed down a gravel road, but it was deep into the hills and took about 30 min. The drive was gorgeous though. Everywhere you look there are sheep and pheasants. All the homes we past looked like they were from the 1500s and many of them actually were! The scenery is so pretty here and even though it is windy and a little cold, the weather has been generally really nice. When we reached the villa, there wasn’t as much to see s we thought there would be so we just took a look around then left to see some villages. Here they are not called towns, because the British look at the word town as an economic campus. So they are either cities or villages.


The first we went to was called Northleach and was nice, but there wasn’t much to see besides little shops and homes. So we drove on to Burford, a city established 1571. I enjoyed it there much more. There were tourist shops everywhere and we visited a church that was built in the 12th century called St. John the Baptist. There were graves all over the floor and sculptures on the walls that were beautiful. All the styles of artwork and stained glass windows were very Romanesque.


On the drive home, we saw a group of people sitting on a hill with giant inflated “spheres”. My uncle, curious to what they were doing, stopped to the side of the road, and we all climbed out. We went over and talked to a very nice man who told us it is called SphereMania. If you are familiar with Zorbing, that is what they were doing. They have two different options of doing it. The first was, two people climbed into this giant ball and were harnessed to the walls. They were then pushed off a hill and rolled down it! The second option was three people climbed in and instead of harnesses, they poured water in with you so you slide all over inside! That sounded much more exciting to me and although I really wanted to, I was not wearing the right clothes to get wet in. :(


All the roads were very small because they used to be for carriages, and goat carts! Seeing people drive on the left side of the road is very confusing, and even more was when I saw the gas sign say 1.07, But then I realized it was in pounds per liter! AH! Hahaha
More to come later!



2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your European adventure! I hope you don't mind that I blogstalk you while you are away:) We already miss you-have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ball things are very very cool!!! When my family went to Canada the gas wasa really low at the time so it said like 1.03 and i was like mom stop there and then she was like no that is not that cheap. It is so confusing!

    ReplyDelete